Thursday, April 05, 2007

Poppy Seed Chicken

This dish was served and enjoyed by all at our Ladies Night with church on Monday evening...I made it for our family meal last evening and everyone liked it, even the kids...thought I would share it...I adapted it to lower the fat and calories for a more healthy version.

6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into small chunks
1 can cream of chicken soup (I used the healthy version)
8 oz. nonfat sour cream
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers (with whole wheat), crushed
Poppy Seed
1/4 cup melted butter (I used Smart Balance Light)

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix soup, sour cream and chicken together and spread in large casserole dish.
Sprinkle crushed cracker crumbs over top.
Drizzle butter over crumbs.
Sprinkle poppy seeds over all.
Bake for 30 minutes. Serves 6.

You can serve alone or over rice. We had it with steamed broccoli as a side. Enjoy!

12 comments:

Sarah said...

I'll try it out! thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

I will try this for the girls. I am trying to cook healthy for them also. So for they like everything I have made for them.

Kim P. said...

Poppy seed chicken is one of Joe's favorite recipes from his mom. It's funny they had it at church because I had been thinking earlier in the day that I hadn't made it in a long time. Thanks for the ideas about how to make it healthier!

Ruth Ann said...

Funny, I had never heard of it, but it sure is good!

Chris said...

So, what are you wearing?

Angela O. said...

This is a favorite recipe of ours too. The 2nd version of it I got also added some Sherry Cooking Wine.

(wow--the word verification below is "mercy" From www.m-w.com: mer-cy 2 a : a blessing that is an act of divine favor or compassion. How appropriate for Easter weekend!)

Ruth Ann said...

Christopher--behave yourself! LOL!

Angela...did you try it with the wine? If so, how was it?

Cool about the word "mercy".

Chris said...

OK I am ready for the next recipe.

Angela O. said...

Yes, I usually use the wine; To us it makes the sauce even MORE rich (I know that seems impossible). I usually just add a little then taste, add a little then taste to get the amount I want. Happy cooking!

Chris said...

You know that deal about add wine then taste, and then add wine and taste again, might work out real well if you get rid of the chicken and stuff.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.